Sunday, August 23, 2015

Make The Days Count

Syllabi read. Books ordered. Parking pass purchased. Mild panic attack ensuing. In eight [extremely] short months from now, I will be considered a graduate of Xavier University Class of 2016. The sound of that title is surreal. Now, on the eve of my last day of summer, before I sell my soul to senior year, all the feelings are ending in something bittersweet. Nearly 16 years of school have been completed, and I'm about to begin my final year of this season of my life. I can't lie right now, it's absolutely terrifying. How did I grow up so fast that in eight months I will literally be what they call an "adult"? I will have a college degree, and Lord willing, my license to practice nursing in the great state of Ohio. I remember elementary school and snack time and field day. I remember middle school with recess and the start of my real soccer career. I remember high school and pep rallies and football games and working at Chick-fil-A. I remember the past 3 years of college and the comforts of home cooked meals and late night donut runs and so much freedom I didn't know what to do with myself. Despite the fact that I've now got a big girl job to support myself, and have an apartment with one of my best friends, I still feel like a kid. A kid that needs her mom for pep talks and advice, practically all the time. A kid who will always want to play on the playground and climb trees. A kid that prefers PB&J sandwiches to cooking lunch because it's easier. A kid that waits till the very last minute to wash her clothes because doing laundry is the worst. A kid that will lose her voice singing in the car because that's the only right way to sing. I'm not ready to grow up. However, I've learned that much of life is doing the hard things, because it's often the heard things that reap the greatest rewards. And fortunately, I'm always allowed to be a kid at heart [so long as the bills are paid and responsibilities kept up with]. I guess the point in typing this all out was to put in words that I'm learning day after day that God is faithful. He has provided me with more than enough resources to make it. Maybe my heart isn't ready to do the adulting thing yet, but my spirit is, and God is calling me to go. As I take on the adventure of my senior year of college/final year of school EVER, I will choose to do it boldly and confidently, trusting that at the end of it all, adulthood will bring amazing memories and opportunities far different and far better than I could have anticipated. Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment