Monday, March 31, 2014
I'm Only Human
About a week ago, I heard a new song by singer Christina Perri titled "Human." Aside from the fact that this chick has a powerhouse voice, it was the lyrics to the song that hit so close to home. People aren't meant to be indestructible, we are all fragile in our own ways and the world seems to have a conniving way of knowing exactly what it takes to break us. And by the world, I mean Satan and the evil that manifests itself here. I don't mean to sound dark or anything, but it's the absolute truth. As Christina puts it in her song, "I'm only human, and I bleed when I fall down. I'm only human, and I crash and I break down." Now I'm going to be vulnerable for a moment - I'm the kind of person who feels like it's my job to carry the weight of the world on my shoulders. I have believed for so long that it is in my job description to be the friend that is always there to listen and give back to others, and in most cases, do my best to help "fix" the issue. I don't like to look like I'm broken because I have found security in others believing that I have my life all put together. Well truth is, I don't. In a lot of ways, the life I've known for so long is crumbling and there are many mornings that I wake up with all the pieces in my arms and try to figure out how I'm going to put them all back together. But I'm only human, I can't piece together brokenness. Thankfully, I have a Savior who comes to rescue me. EVERY. SINGLE. MORNING. He reminds me that I don't have to carry the weight of the world on my shoulders, I don't have to listen to the lies that it's my job to be strong and stand tall every day. Jesus says in Matthew 11:28-30. "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light." A yoke is a heavy wooden harness placed on the back of an ox that was attached to a piece of equipment that the oxen are to pull. It's big and bulky and exhausting. Jesus desires to take the heaviness that I'm crushed by, and give me a new yoke to carry. One that is shared with a God whose back is way bigger than mine and can support a lot more of the weight. So today, I'm thankful that, yes I am more fragile than a teacup, but I can't be crushed because the King of the Universe is my support system. I know there will be times when I place too much faith in my own strength and crumble under the weight, but again and again I believe that God is right there to help get me back on my feet and sweetly remind me to walk beside Him. I'm thankful that I am able to put my hope in a God who ISN'T human, in a God who won't break because He is victorious.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment