Monday, March 3, 2014

Find Your Flame

People are my passion, caring is my gift, loving is my calling. This is why I have set out on the journey to become a nurse. It's kind of hilarious the number of people who comment on the strenuosity (<-- not sure if that's a word but it sounds neat so I'm using it) of the work load when they find out I'm in nursing school. People are always telling me how great of a field nursing is because nurses will ALWAYS be needed and there are a virtually endless amount of job opportunities for those who choose to pursue this career path. However, I'm not in this because of the thrill of the challenge or the confidence in my future job security. I'm not in this because of the desire to feel needed or important. I'm not even in this for the pretty solid chunk of change I could possibly earn if I pursue the career for long enough. I'm in this because I love people. One of my most favorite things about life is the opportunity to show someone else that they are important and that they are cared for and no matter now alone they may possibly feel in this world, someone loves them. There are old folks in nursing homes who have no family, no friends and very limited social interaction - meaning that the few people who they come in contact with are their medical care team. If I have a chance to show that sweet little man or woman that they matter, then I have made a vow to take it. The same goes for any circumstance on a rehab unit, or on the pediatrics floor or in a make-shift medical center in a homeless shelter. Every single person deserves to feel love - regardless of their race, religion, gender, past, present or future. So this is why I want to be a nurse. Because I am a strong believer that each person is born with some kind of passion. I believe that God placed each of us on this earth with purpose in mind and He has given us this amazing adventure called life to discover our passion and run with it. The only qualifications are a willing heart and the courage to step into something greater than we could ever dream of. I serve a mighty King who holds my future in His hands. Even on the worst days when my grades suck and I want to quit school, God's quiet voice reminds me of that passion inside of me. Yes, there are people everywhere who need medical attention and there has to be people willing to learn the skills to give it to them and that's important. But what's more important, at least to me, is that there are people who need to be cared for and loved in a specific way that only a nurse can give. That is why I keep going. That is why I'm in nursing school. That is why I can't wait to fulfill the incredible passion inside me.

No comments:

Post a Comment